Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Itsy Bitsy

"Itsy bitsy spider" astonishes Pete every time. And I mean *astonishes*. Regardless of his mood, as soon as I start climbing my fingers over each other, his face takes on this struck look--round open mouth, eyes open even wider than usual, and he shakes a little. It's great.

Thank goodness "Itsy bitsy spider" has a positive message. The spider goes right back up the spout again, undaunted. This may be a little creepy if you don't like spiders, but I don't feel bad repeating it over and over to Pete. Unlike, say, "Peter, Peter, Pumpkin Eater," which I'm working on rewording.

Another Pete favorite is "I've been working on the railroad." Who is Dinah? The train's cook? The train's horn blower? What's she doing in the kitchen, and who is that with her? Is the speaker really working on the railroad "just to pass the time away"? There's something fishy about this song that I just can't put my finger on. -CJ

No comments: